Monday, January 30, 2012

My first project finished...

I started a quilt in October of 2010, and finally finished it! Its a queen size quilt, and completely by hand. All the piecing, quilting, binding, every single stitch by hand. And my hands certainly show it! I've caught the quilting and sewing bug. I absolutely love making something from scratch, the entire process intrigues me, from picking my fabrics to designing the pattern. Here are some pictures of the process from start to finish. I would have taken more if I had thought that I would become so addicted!

The block. For my first quilt I stayed with one block only.

Playing around with the layout, since it was my first quilt and I was worried about the points matching up I decided after looking at it this way that I needed sashing.
Here you can see it together, and you can see the hand quilting, I did outline quilting since this was my first time. I was worried after I was about half through because I had read that some quilters don't recommend outline quilting. I was worried that when it was all said and done I wouldn't be happy with it, but I think it turned out beautifully.

All quilted, and the backing and batting trimmed, and ready to put the binding on.

Finished! Here you can see the binding, I had thought about doing green or blue, but my boyfriend didn't want it to look like an "Easter egg" as he called it, and I'm actually glad I went with a neutral.



The Label I did with hand embroidery

No comments:

Post a Comment