Monday, January 20, 2014

Canning Goals and Dress Sewing

Ever since my last post about my non-sewing related goals for this year I have been doing a lot of research on canning. I have been following the blog Food In Jars for several months now and I picked out a few more recipes I thought would be good to try this summer. I also bought a couple books that came highly recommended. 

The Ball Complete Book of Home Preserving is called the Canning Bible. I have another Ball book, The Ball Blue Book of Canning and Preserving. It's a smaller book with fewer recipes, but lots of good tips so I feel pretty confident that this bigger book will have a lot more good recipes. Hopefully, if all things go well I will be able to give out some jams, jellies and pickles for Christmas this year!


The other book I got also had great reviews and is Southern Living's newer canning book. What was the deciding factor on this one was the fact that it is geared to small batches of canned products. Most recipes are geared to huge outputs, like 7-9 quarts or pints. I'd much rather make a few half pints of jelly, especially if it is a recipe I haven't done before. I would hate to be stuck with 8 half pints of a Blueberry Lemon Jam that no one likes.
I also managed to get some sewing done this weekend. Have I mentioned before that my boyfriend and I have the most adorable nieces and nephew? The two youngest girls are the perfect age and size for adorable homemade dresses. I bought some Pam Kitty Picnic fabric around the holidays when Fat Quarter Shop had a huge sale going on and knew it was perfect for the Oliver and S Ice Cream Dress. I still have to find a cute button for the back closure, but how adorable is this? I mean really, the fabrics were PERFECT for this dress. I simply adore Pam Kitty Morning and I am hoping to snag some more of the flowered fabric for an apron for myself!

                           

No comments:

Post a Comment