Saturday, April 13, 2013

Stile by Liberty London

What an eventful day I've had. I managed to get some flowers planted (finally!) and pull some weeds from my flower beds early this afternoon, and then while doing laundry I cut into my Stile fabrics. I had about a hundred other things I needed to be doing, but I wanted to make a pillow from these beauties and I just couldn't help myself. First of all, I love these fabrics. These are the first Liberty fabrics I've had the pleasure of owning, and secondly I LOVE making pillows. Honestly, they are probably my favorite thing to make, ever!

I picked 15 of my favorite prints and colors from the bundle of 32 fabrics and cut 72 rectangles 2 inches by 3.5 inches. Then i sewed them into 6 rows of 12 rectangles and voila, an 18 inch cushion cover. I did a simple envelop style back, which I think is the easiest type of pillow. I'm also getting better at putting zippers in things, but I didn't have a zipper big enough for this project.
While quilting this pillow front I had a very big issue with my sewing machine. The bottom thread kept breaking and basically shredding. I took out the bobbin and tried a different one, no luck. Took out the bobbin case and checked it, cleaned in the casing, etc. Still no luck. I was in tears. Then while fiddling with the bobbin case I dropped the screw that holds the tension piece in. I was beside myself. I don't have a backup machine. I thought I was going to have a panic attack. I searched all over looking for that dag blasted screw, then finally found it, but still couldn't figure out what was wrong with my machine. I took it completely apart and cleaned about a ton of lint out of it. (I just cleaned it the other day, but I didn't take it completely apart, just did a quick sweep of it) Lo and behold, it worked. I cried tears of relief, and finished my pillow while holding my breath.
I plan on making another pillow using the darker colors from this line and then a pincushion at least. I just got the Sweet Sixteen bundle from Westwood Acres so it's basically 32 layer cake squares. I'm already wishing I had order a bigger bundle.
Speaking or ordering fabric, has a sale on Anna Maria Horner fabrics so I ordered several yards from Field Study. I have been wanting some forever, but had no idea what I wanted to do with it. But, I've been getting really good at ordering fabric just because I like it, with no plans whatsoever for it, and so I jumped in. I am leaning toward an eventual Spiderweb quilt possibly, a la I'm A Ginger Monkey. She does amazing things with AMH fabrics.
I also want to try Anna Maria Horner's feather quilt pattern. That may be what I decide to do with the Field Study fabrics I ordered last night. We'll just have to see!

No comments:

Post a Comment