Saturday, June 22, 2013

150th Birthday

This week West Virginia has been celebrating it's 150th Birthday. Last weekend we took a short road trip to a few of our state's most beautiful landmarks and this weekend we went to the state capitol for a little celebration. We didn't get to stay long or see everything we wanted to, but I did get to snap a few pictures (and my boyfriend got to see Ronnie Millsap in concert)
 
They are also having the WV Juried Quilt Show at the capitol complex as well, and we took a quick peek at the quilts. There were WAY too many people there for me to take good pictures, or spend as much time as I would have liked seeing and reading about the quilts. But I thought I would share a few of the good pictures here.

Here is our beautiful capitol building.
Like I said I didn't get to read the captions with the quilts to get any information about them so I can't really tell you much about what I was seeing. Your guess is as good as mine, but we are planning to go back and take a longer time and getting better pictures. They also have our state museum in this building and we are going to take another trip one weekend to see more of the capitol complex. Neither one of us were feeling all that great, and we made it a very short trip.
 








It was certainly impressive in that huge building with the marble walls and the quilts hung all the way to the ceiling.



And I also got a compliment on my watermelon quilt! (The one in my blog header) We took it to sit on during the concert and I was carrying it back to the car and a woman passing by said she liked my quilt. I get compliments from people I know and from other quilters, but it was nice getting a compliment from someone I didn't know :)

Hope everyone is having a great weekend! It's off to bed for me, and hopefully tomorrow or Monday I will have some pictures of MY quilts for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment