Friday, August 31, 2012

Farmer's Wife Friday- My turn!

So I caught the bug and decided to jump on the bandwagon. I've been admiring other people's Farmer's Wife blocks and toying with the idea of taking on the crazy endeavor of 111 very small 6 inch blocks. Then I decided just to go for it. This week I've been more than a little crazy about it. I'm sure that the rest of the quilt won't go together as quickly as the first few I've done, especially when I get to the really difficult looking ones, like Homemake and Jacknife, but I'm excited to try blocks I've never done before, and even though I am sure my seam ripper will be well used by the time this quilt is finished (not to mention that I plan on doing most of the blocks by hand, gasp!) I'm up to the challenge. So without further ado, here are the blocks I've managed to complete this week. (Along with a finished quilt top that I cannot show because it is a gift, once it is gifted, I will post pictures, promise)

Block 1- Attic Windows
Block 2- Autumn Tints

Block 3- Basket (it still needs the handle, so its technically not finished)
Block 4- Basket Weave


Block 5- Bat Wing

Block 7- Birds in the Air (I have skipped block 6 for now, I was excited to jump into this one with all the little triangles.)


 
 I was worried that Block 7 didn't have enough contrast, but now that I look at it, I actually love it! So far I have had a lot of fun piecing these little beauties and I'm even more ecstatic about the fabrics I picked. I'm excited to work on the next few blocks in the coming days and hopefully will make equal progress next week for my blocks. I am trying to balance making this quilt with about a half dozen other projects I am working on.
 
I started cutting fabric for my dad's quilt yesterday. I am using mostly Lake Life by Thimbleberries, with a few other prints mixed in, and I am using the McGuffey Schnibbles pattern, only I am making it bigger. He wanted a quilt big enough for his bed, and I had to put my foot down on that one. There is just no way I can quilt a queen size quilt on my little machine. Well, I could, its physically possible, but I'd be pulling my hair out. So I am doing a short double size quilt. Bigger than a throw, but not quite long enough to be considered a bed size quilt. It will still be the largest one I've quilted on my machine. I'm not sure what I will do with my Farmer's Wife quilt when it is ready to be quilted. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment