Friday, January 25, 2013

Salt Water Waves

I ordered a fat quarter bundle of Salt Water by Tula Pink a few weeks ago from Amanda's Etsy shop HERE. I have been wanting to make a "beach" quilt for a while now and the fabric was perfect, and so was the price! My boyfriend LOVES the beach. If we could up and move to the beach he would do it in a heartbeat. We haven't had a chance to take a beach trip since we have been dating for several reasons, but we are hoping that this year we will be able to break that cycle and take a few days to head to the ocean.

 
 
I'm leaning toward Kona Bone as the background. None of the fabrics have a real white in them, its all more of an off white or sandy color and thanks to my trusty Kona Color Card I am really leaning toward Bone, or maybe even Oyster. (I love that its called Oyster!) I found a free tutorial that Faith did for Art Gallery fabrics HERE and I think it will be perfect in Salt Water fabrics. I'm going to make a few modifications to it, I want to do each horizontal wave or "stripe" in one color, alternating between Coral, Blue and Green. I'm also going to start my waves at different points so that there aren't any partial "waves" at the top or bottom of the quilt, and I'm increasing the size. I want the quilt to be large enough for my 6' 3" boyfriend to be able to lay on the beach on it.
 
I've drawn it up and did all my wonderful quilt math to know how much of each fabric I need, and now I just need to officially pick between Oyster and Bone for the background and order the backing and binding fabric.

 
 
For anyone that is counting that is 7 quilts in process. I may push this one to the back burner for a little while. I have several months before we will need it and I have so many other things I am trying to work on, but I wanted to show off all these beautiful fabrics and my Kona Color Card. I am sure most of you have one by now, but since I just started quilting around a year ago I wasn't aware of how necessary one was. I am so glad I invested in this tool. There are SO many options for solid fabrics, and the color card helps to get as close to the right color as possible. I bought mine from Fat Quarter Shop 


 
 
Hopefully, next week I will have a few finished projects to show you instead of just stacks of pretty fabrics!

No comments:

Post a Comment